Friday, July 30

You Wish by Mandy Hubbard

You Wish
Synopsis:
Kayla McHenry’s sweet sixteen sucks! Her dad left, her grades dropped, and her BFF is dating the boy 

Kayla’s secretly loved for years. Blowing out her candles, Kayla thinks: I wish my birthday wishes actually 
came true. Because they never freakin’ do. 
Kayla wakes the next day to a life-sized, bright pink  My Little Pony outside her window. Then a year’s 
supply of gumballs arrives. A boy named Ken with a disturbing resemblance to the doll of the same 
name stalks her. As the ghosts of Kayla’s wishes-past appear, they take her on a wild ride . . . but they 
MUST STOP. Because when she was fifteen? She wished Ben Mackenzie would kiss her. And Ben is 
her best friend’s boyfriend

Review:
When I got this book, I was so excited to read it. I was ready for a light read. However, I was a little disappointed with this read. I'll say now that I seem to be in the minority for this read. I'll admit it is a fun read, but it was a bit too fantastical for me. 
I will say that I did appreciate Kayla. Going through all of her wishes in only a matter of days, she had to develop rather quickly. It made it really easy for me to understand her. She also had a likable spunk, which worked well in the book. 
There were also surprisingly deeper elements in the book, such as Kayla's relationship with her father. With the majority of the other elements being lighter, it put me a little at odds with the deeper moments. While I appreciated them, they almost felt like interruptions. I know life's not roses and Kayla is particularly unhappy with hers, in this otherwise light novel that was a bit out there, the deeper moments didn't fit to me. 
Overall the novel was funny and an easy read. For some reason I can't put my finger on, it just didn't sit well with me. Don't get me wrong, it had its moments. It just wasn't for me. Again, I'm in the minority with this.
Ratings:
Plot: B
Truly original. Very easy to get into. The elements just didn't mix well with me.
Characters: B
As there should be, there was a lot of emphasis on Kayla. However it left little time to get into the other characters.
Cover: C
Cute, but it doesn't really match the book. For one, the pony is bright pink. Also, there was a lot more emphasis on the cake rather than the cupcake.
Length:B
Though it was an easy read, I felt like there were moments where things were drawn out. I feel like a resolution could have been reached quicker. 
A book where all your wishes come true at all the wrong moments, I give You Wish

Three Stars!

Related Posts with Thumbnails