Tuesday, September 14

Forget You by Jennifer Echols

Forget You
Synopsis:
WHY CAN’T YOU CHOOSE WHAT YOU FORGET . . .  AND WHAT YOU REMEMBER?  There’s a lot Zoey would like to forget. Like how her father has knocked up his twenty-four- year old girlfriend. Like Zoey’s fear that the whole town will find out about her mom’s nervous breakdown. Like darkly handsome bad boy Doug taunting her at school. Feeling like her life is about to become a complete mess, Zoey fights back the only way she knows how, using her famous attention to detail to make sure she’s the perfect daughter, the perfect student, and the perfect girlfriend to ultra-popular football player Brandon.  But then Zoey is in a car crash, and the next day there’s one thing she can’t remember at all—the entire night before. Did she go parking with Brandon, like she planned? And if so, why does it seem like Brandon is avoiding her? And why is Doug—of all people— suddenly acting as if something significant happened between the two of them? Zoey dimly remembers Doug pulling her from the wreck, but he keeps referring to what happened that night as if it was more, and it terrifies Zoey to admit how much is a blank to her. Controlled, meticulous Zoey is quickly losing her grip on the all-important details of her life—a life that seems strangely empty of Brandon, and strangely full of Doug. 
Review:
For some reason, I hadn't initially been attracted to this novel. Now, if you ask me why, my best guess was that I was under a spell of temporary insanity. Thanks to the Endless Summer double book I picked up this summer, I opened my eyes to Jennifer Echols, and, in turn, Forget You.
What I loved about this novel was its rawness. Now, I do say this is with comparison to Endless Summer, which were on the lighter side. Regardless, Forget You tackles a lot of issues- sex, independence, neglectful parents, and of course love. Luckily Echols does a wonderful job of handling these issues, despite its short length.
While Zoey isn't someone I automatically connected with, Echols makes it easy to feel for her. Zoey isn't in the easiest spot in her life right now- issues with her mother and father definitely play a huge role in her actions. That said, while I wouldn't wish her situation with them on anyone, I do commend Echols for having Zooey's parents play a large role in the novel. Though neither were physically around, they have a strong impact. I found this refreshing. A lot of novels I've read recently have the parents be basically non-existant. Either they're on this ridiculously long vacation, or are mysteriously never home, and therefore play a minimal if any role in the story. This is definitely not the case in Forget You.
Moving from Zoey's relationship with her parents, I also found Zoey's relationship with Doug to be, in a word, electrifying. I could feel their energy when they were together. Even when they couldn't stand each other... energy. Needles to say, I loved this. While neither admits it, I could sense they each had a protective nature of the other, even at their angriest. Their relationship drove this book, and kept me at bay the entire way through. Plus, side note and very small spoiler, Doug is actually half asian, so thanks to Echols for adding some diversity. It is always appreciated.
While Zoey's actions are at times a little frustrating, they are understood. In one night that she barely remembers, her world that is already upside down get shaken up even more. I think for me, it was easy to keep the frustration with her actions low when I reminded myself of her situation. That said, Forget You was a fantastic read. It was refreshing to see Echols take on deeper situations, and I'll definitely be on the lookout for more of her novels.
Ratings:
Plot: A
Incredibly easy to get into, minimal predictability
Characters:A
The characters really jumped off the page for me, beautifully dynamic
Cover Art:
LOVE IT! The connection of Zoey and Doug on the cover is just a sample of their connection that awaits inside the pages.
Length: B
A complete novel, though the ending felt a little rushed.
A novel you won't want to forget, Forget You deserves:
Four Stars!
Forget You is available now:

Related Posts with Thumbnails