Thursday, August 5

Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott

Something, Maybe
Synopsis:
Everyone thinks their parents are embarrassing, but Hannah knows she’s got them all beat. Her dad made a fortune showcasing photos of pretty girls and his party lifestyle all over the Internet, and her mom was once one of her dad’s girlfriends and is now the star of her own website. After getting the wrong kind of attention for way too long, Hannah has mastered the art of staying under the radar . . . and that’s just how she likes it.

Of course, that doesn’t help her get noticed by her crush. Hannah’s sure that gorgeous, sensitive Josh is her soul mate. But trying to get him to notice her; wondering why she suddenly can’t stop thinking about another guy, Finn; and dealing with her parents make Hannah feel like she’s going crazy. Yet she’s determined to make things work out the way she wants – only what she wants may not be what she needs. . . .

Review:
I'm a growing fan of Elizabeth Scott novels. I haven't read everything from her (for shame, I know), but everything I have read, I've enjoyed. Something, Maybe is no exception.
While reading this, I couldn't help but admire Hannah's strength. While she may not have the best self confidence, but she handles herself well. With her mother not being the most stable, and her father never around until he needs her, Hannah has had to play the adult. While I hated that she had to play that role, she did play it well. However, you're able to tell that it's left her a little guarded.
What I appreciated about Something, Maybe was that there wasn't a major issue in the novel. It was simply a snapshot of Hannah's life.  No major deadline, no huge if, then scenario. There's enough going on in Hannah's life that it carries the novel through. This was really refreshing. Sometimes it's nice just to take a peek into someone else's life without having a major situation going on. The relationships between Hannah and her parents as well as Hannah and Finn are so dynamic, they kept me completely invested in the novel.
I will say that there were moments where I wish things were stretched out a little more, moments where I felt I was missing a bit of dialogue, moments I can't talk about without spoiling things. However, this doesn't stop it from being quite an enjoyable read. I finished Something, Maybe in one sleepless night and enjoyed it tremendously.
My Ratings:
Plot: A
Very simple, but also very easy to get into.
Characters: A
Incredibly dynamic for such a short read. Easily understood.
Cover: B
Simple, but exemplifies Hannah's embarrassment over her parents. 
Length: B
Ended well, but could have been longer
A fantastic snapshot of Hannah's World, Something Maybe deserves...
Four Stars!

Related Posts with Thumbnails