Thursday, July 29

Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

The Lonely Hearts Club
Synopsis:
Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways . . . which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like. . .
Review:
I'll admit to you now that I am not a Beatles expert by any means. Before I read this book, I don't even think I could tell you all of their names or name more than 5 songs (for shame I know)! But I'll also tell you that you don't have to be a Beatles expert to fall in love with this book.
Penny is instantly likable. I loved how honest she was with herself, as well as how dedicated she was to her friends. I could see where she was coming from throughout the whole novel, which made me really feel like I was there.
Aside from Penny, there's a fantastically dynamic membership in the Lonely Hearts Club. You find yourself being able to relate to someone, even if just the smallest thing. If it's Penny looking to live life for her, and not for boys, or Diane looking to find real friends and go for what she really wants. As the membership in the Lonely Hearts Club grows and the members join for their various reasons, you're able to relate to someone. I loved that because I saw not only myself, but my friends as well.
The guys in the novel were just as dynamic. From the player to the 'boy next door', you're able to see a versatile group of guys. I found this to be a really important element because it helped to show that not all guys are the same, nor are they all jerks.
Honestly, I really can't say enough good things about The Lonely Hearts Club. With Penny's hilarious Beatle fanatic parents and the awesome display of friendship in the Lonely Hearts Club, I absolutely loved this novel!
My Ratings:
Plot: A
Really cute. I was hooked as soon as I started.
Characters:A
Incredibly dynamic and understandable. Loved the entire cast!
Cover: A
While I may not know everything about the Beatles, I did know enough to recognize the cover's modernized play on a classic Beatles image.
Length: A
Fantastic. Gave me just enough background to get into Penny's life and ended with a sweet resolution.
A sweet novel full of friendship, independence, and Beatle mania, I give this novel:

Five Stars!!
Bonus: You can check out a deleted scene from the novel here. It shows you just how wonderfully funny Penny's parents are.
I'll be doing a Story Cast Saturday for this book this week! Stay tuned!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails