Thursday, July 22

Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel



Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)


Synopsis:
Lenah Beaudonte is, in many ways, your average teen: the new girl at Wickham Boarding School, she struggles to fit in enough to survive and stand out enough to catch the eye of the golden-boy lacrosse captain. But Lenah also just happens to be a recovering five-hundred-year-old vampire queen. After centuries of terrorizing Europe, Lenah is able to realize the dream all vampires have -- to be human again. After performing a dangerous ritual to restore her humanity, Lenah entered a century-long hibernation, leaving behind the wicked coven she ruled over and the eternal love who has helped grant her deep-seated wish. 


Until, that is, Lenah draws her first natural breath in centuries at Wickham and rediscovers a human life that bears little resemblance to the one she had known. As if suddenly becoming a teenager weren’t stressful enough, each passing hour brings Lenah closer to the moment when her abandoned coven will open the crypt where she should be sleeping and find her gone. As her borrowed days slip by, Lenah resolves to live her new found life as fully as she can. But, to do so, she must answer ominous questions: Can an ex-vampire survive in an alien time and place? What can Lenah do to protect her new friends from the bloodthirsty menace about to descend upon them? And how is she ever going to pass her biology midterm?


Review:
I was so so lucky to have won this book form Goodreads. A lot of people have posted this on Waiting on Wednesday, so I was very excited to read it.
I'll start off by saying I was in a bit of a book funk when I first started this book. Rebecca Maizel got me out of this funk. So if you're reading this Rebecca (which would be all sorts of amazing), thank you. We've all been reading about vampires and werewolves, but this book stands well on its own two feet. I found it to be truly unique.
The book starts off right after Lenah has become human. I loved this  because by doing so you experience with Lenah all the new things she's feeling, because for the first time she actually can feel. I'll admit I was a bit worried at first that I wouldn't know Lenah's past well enough to get into the novel, but my worries quickly faded. Maizel does a fantastic job of intertwining Lenah's past and present. By doing so, I was able to understand Lenah quickly. It also made it easy to see how much Lena was changing as time passed, as well as to see what was inherently hers, vampire or not. That made me appreciate things such as her courage and passion (be it for good or evil) even more so. 
Moving on from Lenah, the rest of the characters were also well developed. I especially appreciated Tony, Lenah's first real friend at Wickham. He's undeniably sweet and I loved seeing him develop in the novel. I also appreciated that he was a minority (Japanese). Yay for diversity! His appearances were great highlights of the novel for me. 
There was an overall tension in the novel. Even in happier moments, you could feel Lenah's anticipation and worry  as her coven's inevitable appearance. This is what made the novel great to me. I loved the wait and the worry I felt, not knowing when they would arrive. It made me feel for Lenah even more as she became more and more settled into a normal life. The tension created a strong connection for me to the novel.
Overall, Infinite Days is a fantastic start to what is shaped to be a fabulous new series. One for which I personally cannot wait for. The cliffhanger at the end has me wanting more already.
Ratings:
Plot:A
Unique. Easy to get into, and not very predictable.
Characters:A
Well developed. Definitely understandable.
Cover art: A
Simple, but still catches your eye.
Length: A
Danger, danger! Crazy cliffhanger ahead. Ended at just the right spot- when I was wanting more. Vampire Queen #2, where are you?
Unique and breathtaking, I give Infinite Days:
Five Stars!
Infinite Days is available August 3rd, 2010 

Related Posts with Thumbnails