Wednesday, May 5

Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti


The Gist (gracias, Amazon):
Best friends Lani and Erin couldn’t be more different. Lani’s reserved and thoughtful; Erin’s bubbly and outgoing. Lani likes to do her own thing; Erin prefers an entourage. There’s no possible way they could be interested in the same guy.
So when Erin starts dating Jason, Lani can’t believe she feels such a deep connection with him—and it may be mutual. The more Lani fights it, the more certain she feels that it’s her fate to be with Jason. But what do you do when the love of your life is the one person you can’t have?
My Review:
I finish one Colasanti novel, and I turn around to find another one for me in the mail. Aren't I a lucky ducky? If you're a Colasanti fan, you won't be disappointed. If you're not a fan, you will be after reading this novel.
Colasanti tackles an issue that a lot of girls (unfortunately) have to face: what to do when you like your best friend's boyfriend. Lani, the main character is a huge believer in fate and signs, so she begins to look for something, anything, that could help her with this dilemma. Even though she's facing a tough situation that, from an outsider's perspective, may not cast her in the best light, Colasanti still makes  Lani a really likable character. Lani is a character whose faults aren't the most obvious, but as she grows throughout the novel, you are really able to see her progression.
Like a lot of Colasanti novels, Something Like Fate deals with a lot of issues besides the obvious ones you spot while reading the back of the cover. Issues such as popularity, sexual preferences, and finding yourself. However, in true Colasanti form, she manages to keep things light in the midst of all the drama. 
As much as I enjoyed this novel, this is not to say that I didn't have a few issues with it. One being that I'm not too sure that Jason was the greatest guy. Without going into too much detail, I will say that I felt that there were moments where Jason seemed to pressure Lani. On top of that, Erin didn't seem like the greatest friend from the get-go - she was so into herself, it was as though Lani was second fiddle.
All in all, however, the novel was enjoyable. I'm just not sure if I'm completely satisfied with the way things turned out. But, when you think about it, with this type of situation, how comfortable can one truly be with the outcome? It's a difficult situation to adress. That said, I think Colasanti did a good job tackling a tough situation. I will say though, I noticed the possibility of an alternate ending, which I might have preferred even more.
Pick up the novel and see if you can spot it :) 

With friendships and fate, I give this novel:
Four Stars!

Related Posts with Thumbnails