Monday, January 25

A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker

If you didn't notice, this book is on my first 10 for 10 list! Yay for 2010 novels!



(Don't you love the cover?)
The Gist (from Kristen Walker :))








When a mandatory course forces Fiona to “try the knot” with super-jock Todd Harding, she’s convinced life could not possibly get any worse.  Until moments later, when her long-time crush is paired with her arch-enemy (otherwise known as Todd’s obscenely hot, slightly sadistic girlfriend).  But that’s nothing compared to her best friend’s fate – a year with the very shy, very goofy, very big Johnny Mercer.
A series of hilarious pranks and misunderstandings leave Fiona wondering: is there something her supposed “best friend” hasn’t told her? Could there be more to Johnny Mercer than a deep voice and an awesome music collection? And perhaps most intriguing of all, is it possible that Todd Harding could actually have a heart – and a brain – beneath his pretty-boy exterior?
Who knows what might happen once you begin a match made in high school…








My Review:
Wow! I devoured this book. Which, when you're a college student with a part time job and 12,000 organizations she's involved in, is like saying you climbed Mt. Everest.  Not only is the story line incredibly original, the characters are in a league of their own. The main character, Fiona, is instantly relatable (in my opinion), but she's not without her faults. Walker does an excellent job of making Fiona a likeable character, but sprinkling just the right amount of flaws to humanize her. When first reading the plot, I thought this could have ended up being a quick, light read, but after the first few pages, I knew I was wrong. Walker takes the story a step further, and then a step past that. There are tons of twists and turns that kept me from putting the book down (and returning to my Chinese homework ;) ), which is always a plus. Walker takes on a lot of issues in this novel, from stereotypes to love to self image. As Fiona grows, you find yourself growing along with her, which I really appreciated.


This book kept me hooked and is not one to miss. I know it's only January, but my favorite book of the year? I think so.


This book definitely deserves:



Five Stars!
Pick up your copy of A Match Made in High School on February 4!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved, loved. loved this book, too! Great review. But you forgot to mention how funny it is, on top of being deep :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails