Tuesday, August 24

Kiss It by Erin Downing

Kiss It
Synopsis:
A girl's gotta do who a girl's gotta do.
Chastity Bryan has never been shy about going after what she wants. And when sexy, mysterious, so-not-from-this-town Sebastian walks into Chaz's life, she knows in an instant that what she wants next is him. Chaz has no intention of playing for keeps—but she most definitely has intentions. Who needs true love when you've got true lust?
Sebastian has no idea what he's in for—but maybe neither does Chaz?

Review:
I'll admit it. When I first decided to read this book, I thought it was one of the cute and cuddly variety. I mean, can you blame me? Sure the title's got some attitude, but then there's the cute bunnies and the fun color of the cover. Not to mention the synopsis I read sounded innocent enough.
The first page changed everything I thought knew about this book.
Let me say right now that the main character, Chastity (preferably known as Chaz) has spunk. She's definitely what you'd consider outspoken, which sometimes doesn't fit well with her conservative family, not to mention her conservative town. She's also very... shall we say eager?  When I read that Chaz wanted Sebastian (love the name, btw. The name automatically made me think he was a mystery) , I thought of them cuddling and kissing. Um, negative. Chaz wants Sebastian, and not in the Disney way. While her blunt, promiscuous attitude turned me off at some moments, I somewhat appreciated that. It made the situations more realistic. The awkward moment and times where I thought she probably shouldn't have said certain things made it all the more real. No one has a picture perfect conversation every time, so I appreciated that Downing realized and respected that.
What I appreciated most from this book was the fantastic investment in of what was going on outside of Chaz and Sebastian's relationship together. Some stories have a way of totally investing in the two main characters' relationship, and letting the side stories be minimal with no real need to remember them. Both Chaz and Sebastian have histories, and even more so, strong presents to deal with.
Overall, this was a pleasant, and definitely suprising, read. This book definitely reminded me that the phrase 'You can't judge a book by its cover' isn't a common phrase for no reason.
My Ratings:
Plot: B
Unique, but there were some lulls for me.
Characters: A
Fantastically deep. Great chemistry between them all.
Cover Art: B
I was never too in love with the cover to begin with, but its cuteness is a nice contrast to the plot.
Length: A
Ends realistically. No, not all questions are answered, but with the tone of the book, it's understandable.
A great read that was nothing like I expected, I give Kiss It:
Four Stars!

Related Posts with Thumbnails